Friday, June 18, 2010

An Arab Wedding and Petra

I sincerely hope my English doesn't get sketchy from lack of use. What in the world would I do without writing skills.........*shudder*.

So, I'm almost done with my first session of Arabic classes. I can hardly believe how much I've learned! Apart from reading and writing relatively well, I can understand about 50% of what is said to me (if spoken slowly)! I can also get across my point in most situations, albeit by using rather roundabout words. I've done very well and aced my exams/quizzes, although it doesn't matter because it's just going to show up as 5 transfer credits on my transcript. Ah well.

I had all kinds of plans of perhaps going to Turkey or Lebanon or Egypt over my week-long break, but honestly, I'm running out of money. On that note, it costs 60 JDS to get into Petra - that's almost 90 US Dollars! Even though I was annoyed at the price, it was definitely worth it. I'm not sure how I can describe it....let's just say that it's a fabulous, massive, ancient city carved into the walls of a large canyon. I think that pretty much sums it up. Honestly, I was just as appreciative of the natural desert rock formations as I was of the ancient architecture. See Facebook/Flickr for pictures. I'm very sunburned and I saw real Bedouins! How cool.

Last night, I attended my first Arabic wedding. Before you ask me - the bride wore a white gown shipped in from the United States. Jordanians LOVE American wedding dresses. There was no church, the thing was held mostly in a hotel ballroom. We actually ate and danced BEFORE the ceremony. Oh, dancing....the party actually started at the bride's home, and I kid you not, a posse of dancing and singing Jordanians followed her out the door, into the limo, and all the way to the hotel to welcome her. Apparently I picked up Arabic dancing quite well. Whatev - it doesn't matter where you are; if you can move your hips, you can move your hips.

Sorry this blog isn't super deep, but I'm too tired to relay how surreal it was to be standing in a city that was once bustling with pre-Jesus citizens, or how much I love how full of life Arabs are. Oh wait, I just did.

Ana tabbanih kteer wa anna biddi douche wa takhti.

Ma-Salaama.

Kaye

No comments:

Post a Comment